Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Birthday Suits 11/12

Started out at the Urban Wildlife for the $2 beers and no cover. I walked in to a pretty shitty ska band who's every song sounded like the annoying Reel Big Fish song about working at Burger King or something.

Next up was Fighter Heyabusa was up. Sorry, but fuck did I not like this band. I was so discouraged I decided I couldn't sit through it to see if the headliners were any good.

So I ran to the Entry and caught the last song of the Divebomb Honey, who I've seen a number of times. Fun new wave band with two keyboards, really strong bass and thick female vocals. The show was to celebrate the cd release by the Birthday Suit. Now I had not seen this band before but they are a two peice of members that were in the band Sweet J.A.P. so I knew this had to be good. This band is so strong that its hard to believe its a two peice. Normally I'm not a big fan of higher pitched vocals (note my love of Nick Cave and Tom Waits for example) but the guitars more than make up for it. And Hideo Takahashi was thrashing about on stage during solos and even ended up playing atop bar stools. Was more than happy to see this performance.

More on Sweet JAP, Birthday Suits and Divebomb Honey:

http://www.citypages.com/databank/26/1301/article13851.asp

No comments: