Thursday, August 25, 2005

Midnight Evils @ First Ave

For their second to last show the Midnight Evils played the First Ave Mainroom. Also on the bill were Death To Our Enemies, Seawhores, The Deaths and Chariots.

I missed Death To Our Enemies but was blown away by Seawhores sound. They were the loudest band of the evening and you felt their it run through you. I think that loudness may be covering something up but I'll have to check them out again as I it was something I couldn't get past to focus on the music as much as I should.

The Deaths were a very slow rock band and didn't seem to fit the bill at all. I spent the majority of their set going between the Entry and outside. It was beautiful night to hang out.

Chariots I've seen once before and that was for their CD release show in the Entry. I was a little concerned that the big stage wouldn't work well with this band. Being that the singer also does some keyboard playing, their set up works perfectly on the Entry stage creating a smaller pocket for the singer to thrash around. But the band sounded very good coming through the speakers of the mainroom and I was glad to see them do well. I think quite a few people got into it. They really warmed things up for the Evils.

As always, the Midnight Evils did not disappoint. It was a really fun night of rockin music but also a sad reminder that this will soon be done. I'll never get sick of hearing that band rip through their cover of Muddy Water's Got My Mojo Workin or the song Twin Cities Lights which is almost impossible to not rock out to. I of course, did in fact, rock out.

No comments: