Thursday, August 18, 2005

Its about time!

The return of the Amish Armada. They haven't played in minneapolis in two years. The bill as odd as it was, consisted of great bands. The object of many gushing posts, Six Six Crush, were the openers. They sounded so good last night at the Triple Rock. As do most bands, the rooms got a great sound. They switched the set up on me a little bit, which I guess was good, but when I walked into the venue and heard the song they normally close with I thought I had missed the show.

Next up were two bands that fit the bill with each other but not so much with Six Six Crush or the Armada. They were good bands, just different sound. After Six Six Crush was The Lonely Assassins Club. Their songs are a bit long for my taste but the sound is really good. I met the singer and she has a great deep voice and is a very stellar bass player. Its a slower rock, but definitely rock. I'd describe them as maybe a Maps of Norway/Kontrol Panel mix. I KNOW I'll be checking this band out again.

After LAC was this band from Salt Lake City called UME. I was very impressed with this band. Great female vocalist and guitar player. Had a Carly Simon look and sound. But the music was loud, quick and hard. I'll be looking for more info on them and should I ever again have money, pick up a release of theirs.

And the headliners, the fucking Amish Armada. What can you say about this band other than that they're all over the place. The stage has around 10 people on it or more at any given moment. And when the extra hands aren't on stage singing they're all over the place beating each other up and wrestling, with fake blood a plenty. The vocal stylings of "Elijah Damned" are never to be missed but back up when the hammer comes out, some computer is going to be no more. And to end the set, a tarp is set out, drenched in fake blood and the guys all do a slip and slide type action to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. And people wonder why I go see this band?

No comments: