Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Honey @ The Hex

Friday night was the Divebomb Honey at the Hexagon Bar. I had never been to the Hexagon before and I really enjoyed the place. If only because its the stereotypical dive bar. But the drinks were pretty cheap and the crowd very interesting. Nothing like some good people watching with your rock on a Friday night.

The opening bands were definitely not of my taste. Les Ourses was pretty easy for me to ignore but they were the type of band that just had a snare and a cymbal and the drummer stood up. Both bands were pretty artsy, the second being Haunted House who I'm sorry I found to be just terrible. A mess of music that should have been brought together by the fact that they had two drummers, but it just didn't happen. One of the drummers hid his head behind a fraggle rock drum that he carried on his shoulder the whole set. I didn't get the significance of it but, for some reason he seems to enjoy that.

The Divebomb Honey are a great band with a lot of energy and Sheela's vocals are strong and fun. The combination of her, the keyboards and the talent on guitar kept me rocking the whole time (sorry I'm not a reviewer thats the best you're going to get out of me.) The band has a great sound and very well written songs. The keyboards, pulled out a dramatic one finger attack during their last song. Calling out anyone who plays guitar in a punk band, "I can do it with one finger!" even lifting the keyboard behind his head again using the one finger. It was hilarious being that I was there with a bass player in two bands.

No comments: