Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Birthday Gal

So this past Sunday was my birthday. And what a weekend it was. Friday started out with my friend just telling me not to plan anything that her and I were going out. She picked me up and we went to Tony Jaro's for a greenie. At Tony Jaro's was my best friend Amanda who had flown in from California to surprise me. And boy did it do that. She was there with another friend I had played softball with growing up. We had a couple of drinks and decided to move on since there was a hideous girl group all tan and sparkly that had just entered. We decided to move on to Gasthof's home of Das Boot. There friends and family were waiting for me and there was quite the party. I would say we went through 6 boots and so much sniff snuff I was blowing brown snot for days. It was a great time and a very big surprise. Some family and friends pitched in and got me an Ipod Mini as well which was very cool.

Saturday I had lunch with some family after having to work for a brief bit in the morning. But Saturday night The Mighty Mofo's were playing at the 7th St Entry. One of my favorite local bands at my favorite venue. I was so happy. I knew this was going to be the ultimate celebration. The night started with 241s at the Leaning Tower with three friends. My friend Alycia and I decided that since it was so nice out we were going to walk to the club. And such a great walk it was. The Hos were out in record numbers in downtown minneapolis. Gals in their matching outfits of black pants and just a different colored sparkly halter top. The guys all in light jeans and different color collard shirts. They really all dress and look exactly alike. Alycia in her camoflauge pants, combat boots and moto primo sweatshirt and I in my plain black tshirt, ragged long john shirt underneath and dirty chuck taylors were obviously quite the opposite of these people, and we couldn't be more proud. We tried hooking up said groups of guys in girls so they could become matching couples, but they didn't see the humor in it that we did. We also passed by the wretched Barfly which has taken space in the Skyway theatre. Hideous neon peace sign earrings accented afghan shirts and ladies in hawaiian lays, our brains were going nuts with the people watching. But we did also compliment the few ladies we saw that we could tell were comfortable with themselves, weren't anorexic and were just beautiful people. So we were nice too.

We got to the club and the Floorshakers were on who were pretty good. They fit a bill well with the Mighty Mofos. Its rock and you can dance to it. We caught some of it and retreated to the mainroom due to its air conditioning. The Entry was so hot and nasty. There we had some drinks and met THE Billy Batson of the Mofos. Alycia reminded him of her birthday antics as he was doing sound that night in the Entry. He was very impressed by her and asked her when she was starting a band. I hope she does it. But I did get to converse with the man which was very cool. The night became very drunken with free drinks from friends and staffers at first ave. Lots of whiskey. The Loose Rails were up after the Floorshakers and were a bit too poppy and just not my type of band. So we retreated to the mainroom to cool off and to dance. There was no one dancing so we owned the floor. I don't dance well but since my friend Kim and I were drunk enough, it didn't matter. Next up the Mofos. Oh man I can never get enough of this band. I didn't stop dancing from start to finish and I was right in Billy's face. I had a group of pals around me and we had a blast. After the show Alycia and I hit the office in First Ave with some friends. I met the bookers Nate and Sonia. We hung out with guys from the Midnight Evils. Billy came in and thanked Alycia and I for our dancing which was really cool. The dork that I am said, "Well thanks for giving me something to dance to." As the Mofos finished my friend John turned to me and said it best, "We're so lucky to live in a city where we're able to go to shows like the Mofos, the Midnight Evils and Arcwelder, all the time." Amen brother, I love mpls.

Ok so post show Alycia and I go to the place where one of the guys in the Midnight Evils lives, also joining us was Nate, one of the bookers from first ave. We hang out on their awesome deck cause its so beautiful outside, have some beers, some smoke and hear some great stories about different bands playing the venue and how the booker is good friends with Mike Watt. I was in my element. And we were there til roughly 5am.

The next morning, actual birthday, got up and did beer for breakfast at the CC Club with a few friends. Was fried from the previous night so was quite lazy. My dad came over and he had bought me a new stereo which was amazing. We got a lot of that hooked up and met my brother for dinner at the Tower. Then it was a chill night. I had drank enough the past two nights so I met some friends for ice cream and just hung out outside. It was a great birthday, the best I've ever had.

2 comments:

johnnylockheart said...

That does sound like an epic birthday! Glad to hear you had a great time, CC.

Scott said...

The Mighty Mofos!!! What a band!They actually played for my friend's wedding party down here in Sioux Falls a couple of years ago. If I ever try marriage again that's the kind of dance I want to have.