Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Out of Towners

So I've come to realize there may actually be more people out there that realize that I sometimes write about the shows I see. And my lack of posting does not equal lack of band watching because lord knows I've been out. Too much maybe. But thats a topic for a whole other meeting.

I've had the opportunity to see a number of really great bands in the plast month or two. I admit that I'm extremely stuck in my local scene and over the past month or so have seen Sons Of Yeah, Six Six Crush, Jehovah's Shitlist, Hypstrz, Bluebird, Come Ons, Virgin Whores, Birthday Suits, Lip Splitters, Ouija Radio, Norsemen, Bellevue Death Squad and 30 Second Crash (to name a few), many of them multiple times. But I've also seen a good lot of touring bands that deserve to be mentioned.

Let's start off with the Carbonas (atlanta, ga) and Pets at the Turf Club on 3.22.07. I worked until 930 and lets just say that the performance really made me kick myself for missing their earlier set at the Alamo house. I can't write a review to save my life but the energy, enthusiasm and danceability of this band really made for a grand time at the Turf. Most of the crowd consisted of the bands playing and the few fortunate enough to be out and catch the act, but there were quite a few hips shaking and I'll be looking forward to everytime they come back to mpls.

Next up I'd like to talk about Stinking Lizaveta at the Triple Rock on 4.2.07. I know I've written about this band before, but you'll keep reading it because this band is really one of my favorite bands to see live. And as always I'm amazed at the lack of people at their shows. The last three times I've seen them have been twice on tuesdays and one monday but still. This is Stinking Lizaveta people, get the fuck out to the show. And for those of you lucky enough to have caught this post, you'll be informed that they will be back on May 28th again at the Triple Rock. I promise you will not be let down. Its a prog, stoner, metal rock combination that is too fun not to experience

http://www.stinkinglizaveta.com

The next out of towners show was Madison's Screamin Cyn Cyn and the Pons teamed up with NY's Mathematicians also playing were the ever entertaining Ouija Radio. Cyn Cyn I think is a great band to get you in the mood to dance, rock out and just plain smile. Rockin tunes and great people, always a pleasure to have in town. And how do I describe Mathematicians, a little beastie boys, a little devo, a little, oh I don't know I suck at this, Elvis Costello? Yet the songs are well mathematic. They have songs that will have you moving your ass in a different way while feeling more than connected to each member. And this time they brought a light show. It was a swell time at the Hexagon that evening.

The Vicious @ Memory Lanes on 4.13.07. Yet again a band that made me wish I didn't have a 1-930 schedule because I'm sure they tore apart the Alamo. Even on a sound system at a bowling alley this swedish punk band fully lives up to their name. They're a group that I have come to adore. And with a self given description of "Graveyard Rock" you know the lyrics definitely rule, what I caught of them. I was very impressed by all musicians and all elements of this band. I really wish I had more cash to buy their 12in at the show, but in time it will come. For a great punk show, keep an eye out for The Vicious.

Two more, take a breath, bathroom break, grab some whiskey.

Clorox Girls at Triple Rock on 4.19.07. I spent the first half of the evening watching Six Six Crush at the Poodle Club that I regret I only made the last Red Dons song. This band features members of The Observers, a band I came to love after seeing at Big V's with the Clorox Girls. Anyway, sorry to miss the guys but of course got a great set from the C-Girls. Another night were I was very disappointed in the lack of attendance, but the Clorox Girls didn't lack in energy. Ryan Perry sums it up well by saying "Musically, Clorox Girls seamlessly blend strong pop beats, surf riffs, and bubble-gummy harmonies that evoke thoughts of (while from the wrong coast) some of the Ramones' sweeter love songs as well as hints of Chuck Berry and Ritchie Valens. "

Birds of Avalon at The Entry on 4.24.07. Was summoned down to the Entry when I found out the Sons Of Yeah (a band I am very devoted to) had been added to the bill at the last minute. I must say I'm definitely glad I had a reason to go to the Entry. I had sadly not heard of the Birds of Avalon and would have missed one hell of a show. They're a prog/psych band with a vocalist that I found to be exactly what I like. The band filled the stage and the Entry with a sound and show that you couldn't take your eyes off of. I really enjoyed the vocalist and had a chance to chat with him afterwards, very swell guy. Hope to see them back soon. Here's a quote off their myspace page that I found pretty truthful: "Led by a pair of guitarists who seem, by sheer force, to be powering their amplifiers rather than the other way around, Birds of Avalon make thunderous, precise rock with enough proggy smarts to keep you on your toes.” "

No comments: