Monday, January 02, 2006

Soul Asylum and Chooglin' -12/23

Its always nice to a sold out show for a band like Soul Asylum.

I got there just after the first guy played to make sure to catch Chooglin'. This was my second time seeing the band and it keeps getting better. I could tell they had impressed the crowd as there was some movers and shakers in a crowd that normally consists of standstills. I really think Brian's vocals fit this band very well with the bit of soul he adds to his rock. But the combo of him and Jesse on guitar is always fun to watch. I was pretty much there to see these guys and they didn't disappoint.

Soul Asylum was pretty good but its hard to top the show in October. The guys just didn't seem as relaxed as that show. There was one point, a few beers in, where I had a zen moment. No I'm not a hippy and I said beers not joints but, I was standing in my favorite venue, looking at it packed for a somewhat local act and look up to see the edge of a wreath with lights that was bordering my view of Tommy Stinson on stage and thought, this is a damn fine way to bring in Christmas.

No comments: