Thursday, October 27, 2005

Sir Paul

Last night I went to see Paul McCartney with my Dad. My Dad is a huge Beatles fan and dished out $250 a piece for our tickets, I knew this meant a lot to him. He showed up in his Beatles shirt and was singing before we even left for the concert.

Being that he is so into this band, it is the music that I was raised with. Every Sunday morning we listened to Beatles albums, and the Beatle Brunch as he made breakfast, read the newspaper and spent the day just as he pleased often times pulling out a guitar to jam along. It was very cool to see him in his element dancing and singing along to songs that I've been hearing all my life. His eyes lit up and he shouted "Magical Mystery Tour" as the first chords of the evening came roaring out into the packed crowd.

We heard lots of Beatles songs including Blackbird, Drive My Car, Please Please Me, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window, Good Day Sunshine, Back In The U.S.S.R., The Long and Winding Road, I'll Follow The Sun, Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, Yesterday, Let It Be, Hey Jude and Helter Skelter.

Though I'm not a Wings fan Maybe I'm Amazed and Band On The Run got a great response from the crowd despite the fairly stand still approach that was taken during most of the show. Live and Let Die of course had the pyrotechnics of a Kiss show with large booming balls of fire followed by streams of blue, green and orange colored flames.

His backing band was pretty good, nothing really too impressive but that didn't matter. Paul mixed things up with rockers, solo acoustic numbers and piano driven songs. His voice still sounded great which was such an added bonus when hearing these songs.

While it's not a concert I would pay $250 to attend I was happy to be able to share the music and the show with my Dad who probably had one of the best nights he's had in years. Was very nice to see his excitement.

1 comment:

johnnylockheart said...

It's great that you got to have a fun time at a show with your dad. I'm not a big solo-Paul fan either, but you could have done far worse.

Just imagine if your dad were a Bon Jovi fan! ;-)