Thursday, October 27, 2005

Jonathan Richman/Vic Chesnutt

Tuesday night was Jonathan Richman and Vic Chesnutt at the Turf Club.

Vic opened up the show and I think he's a pretty talented songwriter. He's in a wheel chair and has limited use of his right hand and uses a thumb pick. But he's got a voice that is very cool in that deep yet a perfect hint of nasal that not many people can pull off. I need to spend more time taking in the lyrics to his songs and the music overall. I was really digging one of his final songs that talked about saving a woman from a man that beat her and being her hero, which is not what she wanted. If anyone knows the proper name to this song please let me know.

Jonathan despite having some laryngitis put on a strong performance. His songs are very fun and I love his guitar playing. He is a very animated person that can always put a smile on his face. To me his eyes look sad and then he smiles and it just makes me giggle. An all around entertainer who knowingly couldn't keep his voice up so he danced and really got the audience into it. Very fun set at a great club.

No comments: