Monday, April 25, 2005

First Test

First show I see after No Means No is the Magnolias at the 7th St Entry on Friday. Magnolias are a fine band from around the time of the Replacements in Minneapolis. Here is the write up about them First Ave put on their site:

"by John Bush
A scruffy Minneapolis punk-pop band with all the melodies of their Twin Cities forebears (Hüsker Dü, the Replacements, Soul Asylum), the Magnolias formed around vocalist and guitarist John Freeman, who proved to be the only constant in the band's career. Recording for Twin/Tone, the group worked with Hüsker Dü's Grant Hart for their noisy 1986 debut, Concrete Pillbox. Later albums For Rent and Dime Store Dream showed the Magnolias toning down the chaos and leaning closer to the pop side of punk, resulting in 1992's Off the Hook, their first album for Alias. After the release of an EP that same year, the Magnolias were silent until 1996, when Freeman and another batch of backers returned with Street Date Tuesday. "

Nothing close to the original line up but still a stellar band. I think that this was a fine show and would have been a lot better had I not experienced what I did at the Triple Rock on Monday. Honestly every band should live up to the standards of No Means No. Still thinking of that show daily. A friend of mine that was at No Means No on monday was pretty much saying the same thing. But after a while we were standing in the crowd at the Magnolias show a little bored, so we decided to make the night more exciting and became the people dancing in the crowd. We actually got others to join in a bit which was cool. Then one guy asked my friend "Do you even know who the bnad the Magnolis are?" My friend being older than this guy just started at him and said "Do you know how your daddy is?" I just about pissed my pants laughing. It was so damn funny. Then she threw back some more PBR and continued to shake her ass with me.

There was quite a few people that were interesting there. Someone intruduced herself to me, cheersed me and said I noticed we're both wearing tshirts with long sleeve shirts underneath. What the fuck? Really now, do you want to talk to someone that bad that you'll use that as your conversational peice? I felt like I was in Beavis and Butthead Do America. You know the part where Butthead meets Chelsea Clinton "I noticed you have braces, I have braces too." So I'm thinking if there was a window, I should have thrown this girl out of it.

Some people got some great pics of the Mags and there's rumors that there may be another show in the next couple of months.

No comments: