Monday, April 18, 2005

23 Days Ago

Ok well maybe more like 26 or so since I last posted. And boy has it been busy. I think I should change the title of this to what band did I see last night because really thats just about the only thing I talk about.

Since Motorhead there has been a hell of a lot of music and a lot going on. Friday after Motorhead was the party to end all parties. If anyone in Minneapolis hasn't seen the show Drinking with Ian, check it out Thursday nights at 12:30. It was the host's party with his roommate. Lots of Whiskey, Jagermeister and some free beer. It ended with some dancing to Parliament Funkadelic and an ironing board in a tree. Yeah thats the way we roll. The party consisted of most of all the First Ave staff so it was reported that the club was functioning at half speed the next day.

And the next day was a great great great fucking rock and roll show. It was the cd release party for the all rockin Midnight Evils. This show also featured the musical stylings of the Fuck Yeahs, The International Playboys (very impressive rock band from MT. Check em out), Gee As In Jesus and the all powerful, all inspiring body of rock the Mighty Mofos. In my opinion the Mofos stole the show from the Evils because Billy Batson rocks that much. But I'm sure the Evils wouldn't have it any other way.

Here's a gig poster for the event:



The partying done these two nights had knocked me out and I actually didn't go to a show on Sunday. But Monday marked the official last night of the Clown Lounge as I know it. There was a jazz band playing that I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to but the place was packed and the vibe was that of a funeral. Everyone knew shit was going down with the new owners of the Turf Club and they were sad to say farewell to the basement stage.

Tuesday was the last night of the SPMC presence at the Turf Club. The Mammy Nuns played who are so so in my mind but the Busiest Bancrupcy Lawyers in MN and Kruddler graced the stage and that made the night for me.

The expenses of that week left me in from shows for the next 5 or 6 days which I'll have to say lead me to quite a nic fit.

The following Sunday was the ever great Plate O Shrimp playing at the Leaning Tower bar by the U. It was for Mick from Scotlands birthday. We drank and drank and had alcohol soaked cake. It was necessary cause the sound guys pissed my friends band off so half of them were not in the best mood. But since it was a Sunday it was pretty much all people there that we knew so it made a pretty fuckin cool night. Plate O Shrimp is a great band ala Ramones style punk. Plus they're just great people so yeah I dig em.

Thursday I didn't make it to the Ed Gein Fan Club show at the turf cause I went to the Drinking With Ian premier party, well a bunch of us at a bar watching the show. But the Mofos were the guests on the show and they of course rocked the pants off everyone there. There was also a clip of Billy Batson's band the Hypsterz from I believe sometime between 79 and 81. It was a First Ave mainroom show and it looked fucking great. Man do I wish I could have been there. But there was a shot of the crowd and I swear a one mr. Paul Westerberg was rockin out but I guess I can't say for sure. Will have to watch it again.

Next night was the Belles of Skin City with Kontrol Panel at the Uptown Bar. I love Kontrol Panel and I met lead singer Jean, who is a fuckin cool chic and guitarist Gerard who was also in Rifle Sport. Really cool guy as well and man can he play guitar. I could listen to him hit those strings all day and night. He's really good at what he does. He's also a cook and I visited his restaurant that Sunday called the Bakery on Grand. French food that was pretty damn good.

Saturday night there were 4 shows I was fighting over going to. Decemberists, Cardinal Sin release party (they do a cover of bastards of young), The Stunning release party and Grand Champeen. But what ended up happening is the Midnight Evils had a show at this house in SE Mpls called the Alamo house. They rocked the basement of this place so hard. The whiskey was a flowing and the rock was on. And it was a basement, how cool is that.

And yes I'm still going. The week slowed down til Wednesday. Shellac and Arcwelder at First Ave. Let me tell you I was in fuckin heaven. Arcwelder are a pillar of rock in the mpls community and any band that Todd Trainer is in is not to be missed (he too is of the Rifle Sport fame). During the show someone asked why Steve wears his guitar like a fanny pack, it was a moment of hilarity for the night. That and the fact that someone asked Todd if he was going to donate his ripped silver shirt to the Hard Rock cafe across the street.

To finish off what has happened since Wednesday is going to have to be a new post entirely. I'll have to do that after the NoMeansNo show tonight or tomorrow depending on how late things go.

No comments: