Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Rock N Roll Teeth

Ok to recap the last week. Thursday night, Flogging Molly show at First Ave. I'm not the hugest fan of this band. I don't own any cds but their live shows are generally really fun. The band dedicated a song to the mom of the person I was with. We ended up getting to hang a bit with them after the show at O'Donovans across the street. The drummer from the band was hooking up with a girl I worked with when I was in high school. She left before he did and needless to say, 20 minutes later there was a new girl in her spot. That guy has skills, he didn't have to approach either of these girls. And to me, he's not the best looking one in the band either. Go George (I think thats his name).

Friday night was spent at Big V's. I'll have to say Big V's is a fun place to see a band. Just wish they would advertise more. I saw the Panty Huffers, Six Six Crush, the Menstral Tramps and Dirty Sanchez. There may have been one more, by the end of the night I had consumed a mass amount of beer and wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. Dirty Sanchez was pretty bad and on the verge of nu metal. The singer had long nasty hair and was wearing a GUnit shirt and fashionably untied timberland shoes. Oh the humanity! My friend and I spent the entire time they played ripping on them. We were not happy with their contribution to the evening. The Menstral Tramps have an ok sound and the potential of being a pretty fun punk band. They had a new bass player who was really not doing it for me though. It was obvious she hadn't played in front of anyone before and couldn't really get down playing and adding a bit of back of vocals. Six Six Crush as usual rocked, they have a lot of energy and I enjoy their loud fast punk sound. Its great. Panty Huffers were fun. Their singer is all over the place and I really got a kick out of his helmet that was labeled Tard Guard on the front and Ouch on the back. By this time the attention span was getting low so I can't comment entirely on them but it was a good time.



Saturday was the Chariots release party in the Entry. I dig the Chariots sound. They're loud, quick and tight. Die Electric was cool as always but Askeleton played in between and I'm not as into them. I didn't think they fit the bill as much. Not horrible but there are other bands I'd prefer to see.

Sunday was back in the Entry for Six Six Crush, Rent Money Big and The Deaf. Rent Money Big is from Lincoln, NE and I'll have to say rocked pretty hard. I was impressed. I wish I had more cash on me to have picked up one of their CDs. The Deaf was also sounding good. I like how they mix up the vocals, some songs with the deep voiced guy and others with the chic bass player. She's pretty good just doesn't exude much excitement while singing or playing. But overall good show. I'm sure the maybe 20 other people there would agree with me.

Now its staying in to save money for Fargo this weekend. Most people will laugh at the idea of driving to Fargo but hey its going to be a good party. A couple of great minneapolis bands will be playing Ralph's and we'll all be showing Fargo how to party. There will be stories later.

Ok now to the people watching comments. Along the lines of the holiday sweater comments, I'm really not a fan of people over the age of 10 wearing clothing sporting kids cartoon shows. There's a woman I worked with that was wearing a massive yellow Spongebob shirt and it just rubs me the wrong way. What probably bugs me more though is the people who wear Winnie the Pooh clothing featuring any one of the characters from the show/books. I don't want to see a 33 year old woman wearing an Eeyore (sp?) shirt with some cute saying. Why do you want to dress like a child? These usually are soccer moms or wannabe soccer moms and they generally inhabit the nothern Minnesota area. Suburban hicks. Grow up, thats trying to hard to be cute (that word makes me shudder). And guys, there's quite a few of these ladies I've seen with men. What is it that attracts you to these types of women? Is it maybe that they'll put out to even the narstiest guys just to have a guy? Thats probably it. I haven't been able to find an image of one of these women in one of these shirts, but they're out there. And if I find a picture, I'll post it.

2 comments:

johnnylockheart said...

I'm sure most of those women have husbands and small children, but that still doesn't explain why so many people seem willing to give up their adult lives when they have kids. To my way of thinking, maintaining an adult life apart from your kids is one of the best things you can do for them, to give them a healthy example of parents who love their kids but also have a meaningful life of their own...

Careless Customer said...

I couldn't agree more. It seems a lot of them do it because their kids are into. You're still an adult, act like one.

I sent you a PM on the MWT board, otherwise this is the only way I have to respond to you.