Monday, September 19, 2005

Over the Weekend

Ok for this weekend:

Friday I was at the Turf Club for the Kruddler CD release show. Lots of bands on this bill, the Rockford Mules, a cool band called Canvas I believe (out of towners) and the Rank Strangers. They add a perfect amount of pop to a strong rock sound. I've really liked this band for a while and hope to see them much more frequently in the near future. Kruddler is definitely has a pop element with their high pitched vocals but puts on a fun show, and really great guys.

While at the Kruddler show I saw a flyer for a show on Sep 30th that EVERYONE should go to.

Grudge Match

The Mighty Mofos
vs
Kruddler

Loser Leaves Town

Its going to be sooo great. I love the Mighty Mofos

Saturday:

The Legendary Shack Shakers with Scott H. Biram. Lets preface this by saying I hate the 400 Bar with impunity. $5 for tap beer is god damn ridiculous. And if you go outside, they take your ID so you can't sneak next door in between bands and drink for cheaper. Bastards.

I was very very impressed by Scott H Biram. His show has been called a "one man show of hellfire blues." To further quote the Austin Chronicle " a yelping good time of talking blues, foot stomping, the occasional yodel and harmonica, and between-song rants about prison, the devil, wild women, and whatever else pops into his head." Very cool set that had us all dancing and rocking along. When I get more moeny I'll buy his cds too.

The Legendary Shack Shakers, a great psychobilly band with Col. J.D. Wilkes at the helm. The crowd was going nuts and the shack was more than shaking. Despite a few assholes in the crowd the show was awesome. They have so much energy and the Col. Wilkes is a great frontman. Ripping hair from his chest, spitting and crowd surfing he made sure everyone was into it.

Sunday:
Kung Fools and the Unstuck at the Triple Rock. Not too many people out on a Sunday despite the fact that this was the first time the Kung Fools had played together in 8 years. The Unstuck are a fun punk band with a bit of a pop element and featuring Mike from the Quincy Punx on drums. Would have been more fun if the crowd got into it but these guys always put on a strong set.

The Kung Fools I was just not feeling last night. Too many issues with the guitars and just not getting me in the groove. Most people there had a great time and I imagine they put on a really decent show in their day. But the lack of energy in the place did not help keep my attention.

No comments: